BABCP Accredited Cognitive Behavioural Therapist and creator of 'The CBT Journal', passionate about creating and delivering effective mental health strategies to you.
I work with people who are experiencing psychological distress for a variety of reasons, people who want to understand where they are, why and how to move forward.
Common problems I help people with are anxiety, panic, overthinking & worry, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder and post-traumatic stress
If you are motivated and determined to develop an understanding of the patterns you are in, then I can help you build the coping strategies you will need to reduce your distress and psychological difficulty so that you can move forward with your life, make changes for life and maximise your potential.
CBT is the most effective therapy for treating the common psychological difficulties and challenges we face in life. I specialise in providing individual care and support to help clients address their problems.
My goal is to find a lasting solution for every client using the most up to date and proven strategies. As a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, my role is not just about treating the symptoms but getting to the root cause of the problem.
Over recent years I have also trained with Professor Paul Gilbert who works in Derby University and has developed Compassion Focused Therapy or CFT.
CFT was developed by Paul for people who struggle with high levels of shame and self-criticism, Compassion Focused Therapy along with Mindfulness is classed as a third wave psychological therapy which enhances the effectiveness of CBT and also has outstanding results in improving peoples lives.
Compassion lies at the heart of my approach. I help clients to change how they think, by giving them long-term coping strategies and tools to break behavioural patterns.
I have 20 years’ experience in the field of mental health. My nursing career started in hospital and community settings in the mid-1990s. I believe mental health nursing provided me with an excellent foundation for the delivery of effective CBT therapy.
I have always maintained my status as a Registered Mental Health Nurse. This reassures clients that I adhere to a professional code of conduct by practising safe and effective therapy to a high standard.
I began my therapeutic professional studies with a BSc degree in Psychological Interventions. This gave me valuable skills and a great depth of knowledge of CBT and other therapies before focusing my attention on training specifically as a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist.
It was my drive for finding the best techniques and innovations for people which led me to qualify in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) in 2011. CBT has the best evidence base for its effectiveness in a range of psychological problems.
Over recent years I have also trained with Professor Paul Gilbert who works in Derby University and has developed Compassion Focused Therapy or CFT. CFT was developed by Paul for people who struggle with high levels of shame and criticism, Compassion Focused Therapy along with mindfulness is classed as a third wave psychological therapy which enhances CBT and also has outstanding results in improving peoples mental health, you will see this training incorporated into therapy practice and writing.
My experience combines medical knowledge with academic qualifications and ongoing training in Psychology a therapist studying is never done because the field of mental health is constantly improving and growing.
I am registered with the UK’s leading medical insurance and private healthcare providers, including Aviva, AXA PPP healthcare, Bupa, Nuffield Health and Cigna.
The world of CBT is constantly evolving through scientific research and academic study. As a BABCP accredited CBT therapist, my practice receives regular supervision and I am required to undertake ongoing training to keep up-to-date with new developments.
Maintaining my CBT accreditation with the BABCP is of paramount importance, as it provides clients with reassurance and confidence in my ability as a professional therapist. I have a heartfelt passion for learning new ways to help people make a lifelong change and get back in control of their lives.
I was recently awarded a Postgraduate Certificate in Compassion Focused Therapy. My studies in this area provided me with an in-depth understanding and enhanced my clinical practice skills. Keeping up-to-date with training and developments in CBT allows me to continue to deliver high-quality therapy. Overall, this helps clients to get better more quickly, by benefitting from the latest treatment approaches.
Post Graduated Certificate in Compassion Focused Therapy | 2016 | Derby University
Diploma in Cognitive and Behavioural Therapy | 2011 | Salford Cognitive Therapy, Manchester University
BSc in Psychosocial Interventions | 2008 | Manchester University
Diploma in Professional Nursing, RMN | 2000 | Manchester University
I am often asked to collaborate with the press and other companies and have had the privilege to deliver some exciting projects here are a few:
- Learning to put myself first –https://www.stateofliberty.com/learning-to-put-myself-first-sarah-d-rees-wellbeing-story/
- A Therapist Journey into Compassion https://365daysofcompassion.wordpress.com/2018/11/15/a-therapists-journey-into-compassion-sarah-rees/
- Australia Link – https://www.compassionatemind.org.au/blog/2018/11/18/a-therapists-journey-into-compassion
- Guest blog for IPSIG - https://ipsig.net/thinking-of-developing-a-private-practice/
- OCD interview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IXjgv4Khz4&t=31s
- OCD - Ruled by Rituals documentary – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCRru0oMiD8
- Know yourself with Dan Udale / Episode 78https://anchor.fm/knowyourself/episodes/Know-Yourself---Episode-78---An-interview-with-Sarah-Rees-e2nbhv
- Self Help Sat Nav with Jim Lucas –https://www.openforwards.com/podcast/self-help-sat-nav/27-long-term-condition-cbt-journal-project/
Resources and Products For Therapists In Private Practice
- Facebook Group for CBT Therapists – In collaboration with Heather Howard- Thompson from http://www.yorkshirepsychotherapy.co.uk/about-us/
- CBT in Private Practice – Support/ Advice/ Community and Training - https://www.facebook.com/groups/115600919128550/
Products For Therapists
- Guide To Getting Started In Private Practice - a comprehensive downloadable guide for therapists starting out in private practice collaboration with Sophie Wood, a digital marketing consultant. Available here https://pocketsite.co.uk/getting-started-in-private-practice-guide/
- Pocket Site – Beautiful Websites For Busy Therapists - https://pocketsite.co.uk/
- Therapy Agreement GDPR Ready –https://pocketsite.co.uk/gdpr-therapy-agreement/
- Webinar – 4 Pillars Of Building A Resilient Caseload -For CBT Psychotherapist Briefings - To purchase email firstname.lastname@example.org